Tuesday, February 28, 2012

going vegan

This weekend, I'm flying to PARIS!!

My sister and I have packed our week there with sightseeing and wandering. Among the big monuments like the Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coeur and Notre Dame, we're also very intent on eating sooo much good food. This trip is, after all, the only reason I stopped being a vegetarian. In fact, the very first things I wrote on our Google Doc of  "Things to do in Paris" were

1. Eat cheese
2. Eat baguette
3. Eat pate
4. Drink wine

But as I mentioned before, eating meat again was a really hard decision to come to. I was really afraid that I wouldn't be able to go back to vegetarianism once I got back from the trip. So I decided to go vegan.

Wait for it...

Pinterest


Let me explain. I've told some people that and they said, "Are you crazy?! You're going to go from eating all the cheese you want in Paris to not eating any dairy at all??" And I said, "Um, chyeah. I'm a badass."

Okay, that's not how it happened. I've always wanted to try going vegan and I thought that coming back from an awesome trip like Paris (when I would inevitably be disappointed with American food anyway) would be a good time to recharge and challenge myself. It'll also jump start my transition back into vegetarianism.

For all you nay-sayers out there who tell me that I'm doing my body a disservice and not providing it with the proper nutrients, I must say...you're wrong. Kind of. You're right, there's a reason why we eat animals and veganism as a practice is a very first-world kind of luxury. At the same time, though, I think we should also embrace the luxuries we have while we can. There are so many foods out there that we aren't educated about which can provide us with the nutrients that we would otherwise get from meat. I consider my month as a vegan as a culinary challenge as well as an act of discipline and experimentation.


What are your thoughts on veganism?

No comments:

Post a Comment