Tuesday, April 5, 2011

a new restaurant and a vegetarian trial run

You know #26, Visit 10 Restaurants I've Never Been to. This goal has been going well for me! My sister, who regularly participates in Charlotte Restaurant Week, is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to great places to eat in Charlotte.

For a brunch during my weekend trip home, dearest sister and I went to Zada Jane's on Central Avenue. (Side note: If you're never been to Central Avenue in Charlotte, you should go. It's packed with fun stores and awesome restaurants. The area is an eclectic mix of ethnic-everything.)


It was also during this brunch that I declared myself a vegetarian. Let me fill you in a little. When I lived at home in high school, meat only occasionally showed its face on our dinner table. When it did, it was in small portions. Two years ago, my dad decided to cut meat from his diet altogether to become a vegetarian (well, pescatorian) and I decided to join him. For me, this lasted about a week or two. It's not because I LOVE meat -- it's because I don't like not having options.

However, at school, I still rarely eat meat and I am beginning to think I could use a little discipline when it comes to my eating habits. I feel really good about myself when I don't eat heavy foods involving cows, pigs, chickens and other farm animals. I feel lighter somehow. So vegetarianism (or pescatorianism) it is! For now.

My first vegetarian meal: Zada Jane's Booker T. East Side Hasher.


Their menu describes it as "a bed of sweet potato hash browns topped with two Happy Eggs frittata style with your choice of local Grateful Growers pork sausage, turkey sausage, or soysage,then covered with melted cheddar cheese and green onions - choice of toast or TLC biscuit." I went for the soysage (naturally, and after much laughter). Really, though, this place is great. And their latte is fantastic!


Conclusion: Zada Jane's has yummy breakfast and I'm a vegetarian until further notice.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm I went to Zada Jane's on my last visit to Charlotte and I LOVED it!

    Good luck with your vegetarianism!

    http://joyisstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete