Friday, November 25, 2011

going north

Last week, I went North! Remember this post, when I mentioned that I booked a flight to Connecticut to visit a friend? It was fantastic!

I flew into JFK Thursday night and by the time I landed and my friend picked me up, we were both starving. After accidentally taking the wrong expressway out of the airport, we ended up somewhere near Long Island where we hunkered down at a diner for nourishment. Y'all, Northern diners are no joke. Their menu rivaled the Cheesecake Factory's (okay, I might be exaggerating, but it was huge!) and included delicacies such as Veal Parmesan, oysters, lobster, and lots of pie. We both did breakfast for dinner. I ordered a spinach, feta and tomato omelet that came with a side of hash browns (In this case, slightly mashed fried potatoes. Soo good).



The next day we woke up early and explored New York City. I've been there twice before, but this was the first time I really got the chance to slow down and go the places I've wanted to visit. We walked around Wall Street, took the subway downtown and stumbled upon Dylan's Candy Bar! It was already on my list of places to hit, so this was a pleasant surprise!


Their floors were made of candy, guys!! We both walked out of the store having spent about $20 on chocolate. Not gonna lie...it could have been much worse.


After passing the giant Anthropologie store (sad face for not going in), we passed by the Time Life building. How cool would it be work there, y'all? I went inside around lunch hour and the employees were hustling and bustling in and out of the doors and up and down the escalators. Ah, New York living.


I had lunch at a cool Irish pub and then we walked to the Museum of Modern Art. The view from their top floor is just gorgeous and overlooks their outdoor lounge and pool area.


I've been told that you should really pick and choose the collections you view at the MoMA wisely, so that you have time to really take it all in. We were ambitious and decided to see it all. It was exhausting (this place is huge, y'all. Six stories full of huge galleries) and toward the end, we rushed through some of the media and photography exhibits just to finish and sit down, but it was spectacular. One of my favorites (besides seeing a gallery full of Monet!) was the typography exhibit. I've always been interested in typography and have read a couple of books about it, but it's so cool to think of it as modern art! I love that everyone can see the science behind typography, not just nerds like me!


After the museum, we wandered around the MoMA store and then headed to Penelope for dinner and drinks and then headed home. It was a great day in the city and Penelope was a wonderful way to end the night! It's such a warm and cozy place with a great staff. Of course, walking through Grand Central Station at night when it's slow is also a great end to the night. It's so gorgeous there.

No comments:

Post a Comment